20th October, No Comments
By John Watson
“A Chronology of the Life or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle May 22nd 1859 to July 7th 1930” is a detailed chronology of the life and times of my literary agent from the date of his birth to the date of his death and beyond.
This is a work of reference, and a magnificent work it is.
I cannot imagine how anyone writing about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle could be without this comprehensive reference book. It would be of less use to a Sherlockian, except perhaps in checking the publication dates of the stories in their various forms.
Its over 200 pages of A4 size contain a wealth of information, including:
- a family tree back to Sir Arthur’s Great Grandfather
- a detailed list of events starting in 1794/5 with the birth of Marianne Conan, followed in 1797 by the birth of James Doyle his Great Grandfather up to January 29th 1998 when there was a memorial service for Dame Jean Conan Doyle, Sir Arthur’s daughter from his second marriage
- some family photographs
- a list of residences of Sir Arthur and family
- a list of statues and plaques dedicated to Sir Arthur, Sherlock Holmes and others (including the only plaque dedicated to myself!)
- a list of biographies and semi-biographical works
- a chronological listing of the first and early appearances of Sir Arthur’s works
- a list of prefaces, forewords, etc. by Sir Arthur
- a list of references consulted and referred to by the author in compiling the chronology
- a short note about the author
- a comprehensive index
I would, therefore, recommend to any Doylean scholar for checking for the correct dates when writing about Sir Arthur.
Posted in Arthur Conan Doyle